Alerid 10mg (Cetirizine)
How it works
Cetirizine is an antihistamine. This medicine is used to relieve the symptoms of hay fever (allergy to pollen and other substances present in the air) and the allergy to other substances like dust mites, animal dander and cockroaches etc., the various symptoms of the allergy includes:
- Watery eyes
- Runny nose
- Itching (nose / throat)
However Cetirizine does not prevent hives, or any other serious reactions of allergy like anaphylaxis.
This antihistamine is used in the treatment of hay fever, angioderma and Urticaria etc.
Understanding the drug:
How it works?
Cetirizine works by blocking the histamines in the body, reducing the allergic reaction symptoms from occurring.
When should you avoid it?
You should not take Cetirizine if you:
- Are pregnant or trying for a baby or breast feeding
- Have kidney problems
- Have rare inherited disorder of blood called porphyria
- Have allergic reactions to the other anti histamines
How much to take?
Recommended doses of Cetirizine are as follows:
- For adults and children above 12 years: 10 mg once a day
- For children of age group 6-12 : 5 mg taken twice a day
- For children 2-6 years of age: 2.5 mg twice a day
If you are taking the over the counter products to self treat then read all the directions on the package before taking it.
What are the strengths available?
The Cetirizine HCl tablets are available on our website in the following strength and name:
Alerid 10 mg
Who is the manufacturer?
Alerid is manufactured by a well known Indian pharmaceutical company Cipla, and the drug is available on our site in the packs of 30, 60 and 90 tablets.
How to take it?
Cetirizine comes in various forms like tablets, chewable tablets, extended release tablets and syrup. Alerid comes in tablet form. It is usually taken once a day with or without food. However follow the instruction of your doctor.
- If you are taking chewable tablets chew each tablet well and swallow
- If using rapid dissolving tablet then allow it to dissolve on your tongue and then swallow with or without water
- If using a syrup form, use a spoon or measuring device that gives you correct measurements, do not use house hold spoon.
When to take?
The medicines should be taken at the same time each day. Taking it at the same time each day will help you remember the time of dose to be taken.
For how long should it be taken?
Take the dose as long as your doctor tells you to or as long as you feel relieved. If your allergy persists for more than three days then it is suggested to go to the doctor to get more profound test to get the idea of the allergy.
What if you take too much (overdose)?
Symptoms of overdose are like:
Seek medical attention in case you find you have used more of this medicine or if you find kind of discomfort after taking this medicine.
What if you miss the dose?
Take the missed dose as soon as you remember. But if it is almost the time of your taking the next dose then skip the missed dose and never take up extra medicine to make up for the missed one.
What are the side effects?
Along with the benefits, most of the medicines have their unwanted side effects. It is not necessary that everyone will experience them. Some of the side effects may ward off automatically as your body becomes used to it or adjust itself accordingly.
Certain side effects include:
- Feeling tired and sleepy
- Feeling sick
- Dry mouth
- Stomach pain
- Urinating less than usual or absolutely not at all
- Sore throat or cough
- Tremors or weakness
Are there any possible drug interactions?
Drugs may interact with each other to produce certain unwanted effects like changing the way they work or increase the chances of side effects. Make a list of all the products you use and share it with your doctor. Do not use any other antihistamine along with Cetirizine as it may increase the side effects. Cetirizine is very much similar to levocetirizine and hydroxyzine. So, do not take this medicine while taking Cetirizine. Other medicines that may interact with Cetirizine are:
- Fentanyl Intranasal
What are the things to be taken care of?
To get maximum benefits of the medicine you must:
- Avoid alcohol, sedatives and tranquilizers as they may increase drowsiness.
- Do not drive or work use tools or machines, i.e. do not do that work which will require mental alertness as this medicine may cause drowsiness in some people.
- Do not give this medicine to anyone else.
- Dispose of all out-of- date or expired medicines.
- Do not drive or operate machinery after taking cetirizine because you may feel sleepy.
- Avoid alcohol intake while taking this drug.
- Consult your doctor if you experience any of these side effects: changes in vision, severe dry mouth, trouble urinating, constipation or drowsiness.
- Do not start or continue the cetirizine tablets:
- If you are allergic (hypersensitive) to cetirizine or any of the other ingredients of cetirizine tablet.
- If you have severe kidney problem or severe liver problem.
- If you are pregnant or breast feeding.
- Doctor’s advice should be considered before taking cetirizine tablets in case of any following disease conditions such as fits, severe kidney impairment, intolerance to sugars.
Frequently asked questions
|Manufacturer||Cipla Pharma, India|