The procedure of terminating an early or unwanted pregnancy through the consumption of pills is known as Medical Abortion. This procedure requires the consumption of two pills that are Mifepristone and Misoprostol to get effective results. Most women opt for medical abortion because this procedure does include the usage of any surgical tools or even anesthesia. It’s the easiest, safest, and effective way to end your pregnancy that is up to 10 weeks. Prior to consumption of the abortion pill, you are required to consult with professionals regarding proper information and guidance for termination because at the time of the procedure you might experience several gentle and severe side effects during and post the procedure. Both the pills used in the abortion are verified by the Food and Drug Administration.
Description of Mifepristone and Misoprostol-MTP Kit
Medical abortion procedure requires women to make use of two effectual abortion pills which are Mifepristone (Mifeprex) and Misoprostol (Cytotec). MTP Kit is the main abortion pill kit including these two abortion pills. MTP Kit is recognized as the best kit composed of two essential tablets useful for effective home abortion.
What is Mifepristone?
It is the initial pill that should be taken orally during the termination of an unwanted pregnancy. It is a synthetic steroid and also the medication is known by another brand name as Korlym and Mifeprex. After taking this medication, it starts to block the female hormone progesterone (the essential hormone to continue the pregnancy and causes the continuation of the pregnancy). It creates difficulties for an embryo to survive. Make sure that you consume the second pill as directed by your healthcare guide.
What are the components of Mifepristone?
· The drug compound is yellow with a weight of 429.6g.
· It is of 19 nor-steroid chemical compounds designed as dimethylamine, hydroxyl, and propyl.
· The empirical formula is C29H35NO2 and it is very soluble in methanol, chloroform, acetone, and isopropyl ether and hexane.
What is the importance of consuming Mifepristone in abortion?
Mifepristone is an important pill for completing the process as it’s the first medicine that starts the termination process of an unwanted pregnancy. The process of abortion cannot start if you miss a dosage of Mifepristone.
What is the functioning of Mifepristone?
Females are advised to consume Mifepristone only if her pregnancy duration is until the 10th week or before that. After consuming the initial abortion tablet, the medicine starts to function by blocking the female type of progesterone (it is a hormone that is vital to maintain the pregnancy) and prevents the necessary nutritious elements and oxygen reach the embryo and makes difficulties for the fetus to survive in the womb. After consuming this, you can continue with your normal activities. The doctor will direct the patient to wait until 24-48 hours to proceed to the second pill Misoprostol.
What is the procedure of consuming of Mifepristone?
Before consuming the pill, assure that you consult your doctor for safe guidance. This medicine is consumed to shun an early pregnancy. The most suggested dosage by doctors is one tablet 200 mg so ensure that you take only one medicine orally with water or as it is approved by the doctor. This procedure won’t be counted as a complete abortion if the embryo starts to survive outside the womb.
What type of side-effects may one experience after taking Mifepristone?
There are several side-effects a woman may experience during the abortion process like vaginal discharge, fever or chills, itching or hives, vomiting, mild headache, and stomach pain.
What is Misoprostol?
This secondary abortion tablet helps to finish the remaining process of terminating an unwanted pregnancy. It a known as the synthetic prostaglandin which guards the stomach lining and decreases stomach acid secretion. The brand name of misoprostol is Cytotec. You should consume the medicine after 24-48 hours orally and vaginally but its recommended to consume it as prescribed by the doctor.
Note: Women who are pregnant should avoid consuming the misoprostol and also before consuming it you should be sure of your trimester stage.
What are the Components of Misoprostol?
· The compound is a potent synthetic steroidal anti-progesterone.
· The molecular formula is C22H38O5.
What is the importance of consuming Misoprostol in abortion?
Misoprostol is the essential abortion pill in medical abortion as it completes the remaining procedure of abortion. This abortion pill contracts and pushes out the left behind part of pregnancy. Without this abortion pill, you cannot consider the complete medical abortion process as you will still be in an incomplete termination stage. After completing the procedure, you must consult or make an appointment with your doctor for confirmation.
What is the functioning of Misoprostol?
After 24-48 hours, while consuming the second pill you may experience various kinds of side-effects. After 30 minutes of ingesting the pill, you tend to suffer gentle side-effects like cramps, nausea or diarrhea, and vaginal bleeding. In some cases, they have heavy vaginal bleeding initially but you don’t need to panic. The abortion tablet begins to soften the cervix and the uterus that will result in banishing the uterus then the leftover pregnancy parts expels it through the vaginal area. Few blood clots may also be experienced. The embryo is the size of rice grain and this generally happens to very few women.
Ensure that at the time of this complete abortion procedure, you stay at home and be with a trusted person or your family to calm and support you physically and mentally.
What is the procedure of consuming Misoprostol?
There are two ways of taking the Misoprostol medicine which is orally and vaginally, but before consuming the pill, it’s recommended to confirm the stage of your pregnancy. Only women that are pregnant for 10 weeks or less are eligible to consume Misoprostol.
· After 24-48 hours, you must consume four tablets of Misoprostol by placing it inside your cheek pouch or under the tongue on both sides of the cheeks. You can also consume as it is suggested by your professional. Most of the doctors prescribe to take the second pill at the comfort of your home because there are several gentle and severe side-effects experienced after consuming the second pill.
· Do not chew/swallow/crush the pill. After placing the abortion pill you should keep it for 30 minutes. During the process, do not drink or eat anything. Once the pills get dissolved in your mouth, you can swallow the remaining part of the pill.
· Before consuming the pill, make sure that your bladder is empty. Wash and clean your hands properly before starting the procedure.
· In the next step, you are supposed to push 4 pills inside your vagina one by one and then lie down for the next 30 minutes. During this period, you may experience some side-effects therefore its recommended to keep someone close with you while doing the process.
What type of Side-effects can a woman expect after taking Mifepristone?
Each woman is expected to experience different side-effects depending on the condition of her health and her immunity. There are two different types of after-effects viz. gentle and severe side-effects which include:
· Abdominal pain
· Vaginal infection or any signs of infection
· Black tarry stools
· Heavy bleeding
What are the signs of a complete abortion result?
There are two significant signs to assure that abortion has been completed:
Experiencing Vaginal Bleeding
It is the most common sign that every woman experiences during this procedure. Vaginal bleeding is the indication of the pill working, women may experience spotting or bleeding for an average of 9-16 days.
Confirmation of pregnancy termination
A woman should schedule an appointment after 14 days of completing the process to confirm that they had a successful abortion. Vaginal bleeding cannot be considered as the only indication of the termination of your pregnancy. After completing your abortion, you should get a clinical examination or ultrasonography scan done. If the medical abortion fails, then it should be managed with surgical termination.
To what degree is the abortion pill effective?
Most of the results achieved from consuming abortion pills are effective and safe but you will only be able to see these results if you take the abortion pills at the correct time that’s prescribed by the doctor. It also depends on the duration of your pregnancy period at the time of consuming the medicine. The success rate ratio according to the pregnancy duration stages is as follows:
· The success rate is 94-98%, for women consuming the abortion pill while being pregnant for 8 weeks.
· Women consuming abortion pill while being pregnant for 8-9 weeks (56 or 63 days) have a success rate of 96-98% out of 100.
· For women consuming the abortion pill at 9-10 weeks (63-70days) of pregnancy, it works about 91-93% out of 100% and if the doctor has prescribed you to take an extra dose of the abortion pill, it works 99% out of 100.
· Women who consume abortion pill at 10-11weeks (70-77 days) of pregnancy, the success rates are 87 % of 100.
For efficient results, females should consume the abortion pill at a stage where pregnancy is 10 weeks or less than 10 weeks old. There are very rare cases when the termination is incomplete, in such cases, you can take another pill under the guidance of a doctor or opt for a surgical abortion to complete the process. But in most cases, a complete and successful abortion is reported with these pills.
Before opting for medical abortion, please consult an expert professional and perform your abortion under proper guidance. Proper and complete information about medical abortion is very crucial to ensure your safety during the procedure. After completing the procedure, it is recommended to have a clinical examination to confirm your results.